Tuesday, November 4, 2008

My walk to vote

Today, I was part of history! I'm not gonna lie, I teared up a bit walking to the polls.

Generally speaking, Davis is very liberal. I think we have the most hybrids per capita in the country. Apparently though, on my street alone we have at least 2 of the 10 or so peeps voting Yes on 8 (the proposition that would ban gay marriage) and for McCain. (Yes, those last two statements are slight exaggerations.)

I've been counting signs on my street and I think we're up to about 50 on my block alone. Today, on my walk to vote, this is what I saw:



Here's my front yard. I really am a true Davisite; I have a political sign in my yard! If you look across the street, you can see that it's totally "the thing to do" here. (Also, there's a mattress...I'm not sure what's up with those neighbors. For weeks they had a ton of shit in their front yard. They have, like, 12 kids and even more bikes. And, they drive a 2-seater pick-up truck. Interesting.)

I love that these people feel the need to clarify with a homemade sign. "We're not against the gays, just equality!" I also don't understand why it says "United Not Word Marriage." Why the "word?"

I found this interesting. They are against gay marriage, but for Obama. Kinda an anomaly around these parts.


I really want to meet the person that owns this house on the corner. They literally have about 7 - 10 signs in their front yard. And, I'm fairly certain they put all the signs in the road divider that you see here.

So, while living in a tiny college town has it's ups and downs, the fact that they are very politically active is a plus. However, I guess I'm only saying this because they lean in my direction. If it were the other way, I'd not be so satisfied, indeed.

No comments: